[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 69°F  
Tornado Watch
Monday, Apr. 25, 2011

Stories from Wednesday, June 30, 2010

ANC to begin new building by mid-August (06/30/10)
Construction of Arkansas Northeastern College's new Nursing and Allied Health Building should begin in mid-August. Ralph Hill, director of physical plant and grounds at ANC, said the project will be sent out for bids in July and construction should quickly follow. He said citizens and students should see dirt work and the beginning phase of construction as early as mid-August...
Be safe with your blast (06/30/10)
Fireworks illegal in city The sale and use of fireworks is prohibited within the Blytheville City Limits, according to Marvin Crawford, assistant chief of police. "We encourage folks to take advantage of the large fireworks displays put on by organizations," Crawford said. While there is some risk at a public fireworks display, it is far less dangerous that lighting fireworks at home. Many times children are less than cautious with lighters and the fireworks themselves, sending folks to the emergency room with serious injuries such as burns to the hands and eye injuries. In Arkansas, fireworks are regulated by state law. Only Roman candles, bottle rockets and spark fountains are allowed, along with firecrackers in soft casings. Most fireworks labeled as novelties are allowed, which commonly produce sparks of changing colors. Sparklers, or metal sticks featuring colored powder that creates a fountain of sparks are allowed, but can cause serious injuries. Fireworks can only be sold from June 20-July 10 and from Dec. 10-Jan. 5 each year. Children must be at least 12 years old to purchase fireworks under state law. There are no restrictions against the use or sale of fireworks within the unincorporated areas of the county. Each municipality has their own ordinance regarding fireworks. Residents are urged to contact their city government for rules and regulations before purchasing fireworks. -- DONNA LOYD HILTON/Blytheville Courier News
Fire not slowing Main Street business (06/30/10)
Main Street Auto is back up to full speed, with hopes to be even better than before. Joe Evans, owner of the business which burned more than two weeks ago, is already doing business in property that was undamaged by the fire. Fire department officials said that the fire was likely caused by a faulty electric meter, which caused electricity to arc inside the concrete building...
© 2011 Blytheville Courier News